Google
Web seanonpolynapping.blogspot.com

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Polynapping and the Holidays

I'm looking forward to the Christmas and New Year's holidays (the holidays themselves, not the nebulous time leading up to them - we're mostly through that after all).

I used to dread them. As a friend of mine once pointed out in an editorial article, the holidays (both senses of it) are not a time of cheer for most people. They wander around looking worried and stressed. We're more concerned about meeting all the social obligations (parties, gifts, cards, etc) than actually just enjoying being social.

I was in that category of people. I felt there was not enough time to adequately deal with the holidays, and I worried a lot about what people thought about me or my gifts. It forced a lot of unneccesary stress. This year, though, I haven't really had any stress. I'm just looking forward to them. Admittedly, my wife has done nearly all of the work this year (she likes shopping, so...), or it could be that I'm just better at dealing with stress than previous years. I dunno.

But really, I'm most looking forward to just savoring everything... because I have the time to do so! There's a lot about the holidays that I enjoy. I dearly love spending time with my family. Time with my brothers is always extremely fulfilling (5 brothers, no sisters, by the way). Sometimes I feel like I can't spend enough time with them, especially if I have personal projects to pursue. At least this year, I won't need to worry about divvying up my time, because it will be mandated by when they sleep. :)

Cornrow is planning on continuing polynapping when with his family... the main benefit he lists is that he can do the early breakfast thing with the early risers, and still stay out late with the night owls. My side of the family doesn't do the "early" thing, but my wife's does, so I can see why this would be good.

Estragon has recently been doing a lot of zealous family gatherings which involve copious amounts of rich foods and alcohol (pretty common around the holidays, I think). He's been commenting on the gatherings contained in his usual posts, so it's a little hard to point to one source exactly. Probably the main post around the first big gathering is a good place to start reading.

Me? I've got 3 locales we'll be hitting this weekend, so we'll be busy. It's likely that I'll run into rich foods and alcohol, too... This time I'm with family, though*, I plan to be more strict in my sleeping. My family can wait 20-25 minutes if needed. They're not going anywhere. :)

-sean

* As opposed to the last time I had a family visit (discussed here), where I slept 6 hours, two nights in a row. This was likely because I skipped naps and was real loose with my schedule, among other things. Hopefully, this won't be the case later on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home