Google
Web seanonpolynapping.blogspot.com

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Christmas Polynapping

I've returned from my Christmas excursions for the year. All in all, things have gone well.

The first day (Friday, Dec. 23rd), my wife and I travelled to my childhood home town to visit a friend who was in town from the military as well as some others. This group of friends are all pro-polynapping, and so did extremely generous things to allow for me to step out and nap. So, because of the ability to nap exactly when I needed as well as the general excitement of the social group (it's a constant buzz of activity with these people), I did no core sleep, only doing a "pure" uberman sleep. I still felt fine, so I wasn't worried about it.

Saturday morning, though, I took "accidental core sleep" (I overslept when I usually take core sleep), for about 3 hours. We then travelled up to my wife's home town to visit her family. I was quite tired again come afternoon (I think mostly because I hadn't eaten), so I slept again for about 2 hours.

This was around her father's family. After that, we travelled to her mother's place. They are aware of my experiment from previous time at their place, so again, few problems explaining myself. The day passed well without really missing my naps (though I took the timing very flexibly), and continued into the night. Around 6 am Christmas Day (I haven't been awake that early on Christmas since I was like 9), I took core sleep of about 3 hours. Then, woke up, did the presents thing for an hour, had some breakfast and a bit of Mimosa and then promptly fell asleep again for 4 more hours.

It was probably the alcohol that caused it... but judging from past experience, though, regardless of how much I would have slept the night before (probably like 10 hours), I still would have taken this nap. Basically, I don't think I lost anything, and I felt really solid afterwards.

Christmas night, I cuddled next to my wife and fell asleep (she always relaxes me to an extreme), taking about 5 hours of sleep and awakening around 7 am. We packed, ate breakfast, and went north to my family's gathering at an indoor waterpark, which was impressively cool. This, though, was probably most disruptive to my schedule of napping, as I stayed down in the waterpark area long past when I usually sleep. I don't think I got in all my naps, though (I really have stopped paying close attention to when I nap - in my memory, it's been relegated to "unimportant" so I don't track it). When I tried to grab core sleep, upon the alarm for me to get up, I apparently treated my cell phone as though it were my bedside table alarm. My wife said I was trying to press the snooze button by putting my weight on it, which is entirely unlike how my cell phone alarm works. :) Anyway, because of this, I slept some more past where I wanted, but only a little; it turned my 3 hour core sleep into 4 hours.

Finally, I was able to grab more naps for the day, this time not skipping any, and to return home.

All in all, the biggest problem I really had was missing meals. I was not eating on a regular schedule at all. When I get hungry, that's really when I have the most problems staying awake. If I can get food, I usually have no problem continuing, even past normal naptimes, probably because of the increase in blood sugar... it makes me wonder if I should start evenly spreading my daily caloric intake over 6 very small meals, always taken at a regular place in my nap schedule. I already space out most of my daily intake into mini-meals while at work, but I may benefit by spreading them over the entire day instead.

Hmm... something to think about.

Anyway, best of wishes to all. :)

-sean

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I mention in my blog, I started 6 meals a day prior to polyphasic sleep. Now that I have modified my sleep I see how well the two go together. After I wake up I eat. It seems as if I'm always eating, which helps eliminate hunger. It also helps me have the energy to pull through the long nights without resorting to junk food.

Dan
http://www.thedanexperiment.com

12/29/2005 12:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home