Google
Web seanonpolynapping.blogspot.com

Friday, December 09, 2005

Polynapping and Having a Social Life

I've heard it said several times that it would be tricky to do a polynapping cycle and have an avid social life. People don't seem to think that it could be done because of the odd, ultraradian cycle we use.

At first, I had a little trepidation about the concept of maintaining a social life during this experiment as well. It is odd. Or, at least, it's not what the "normal" people do. ;)

But for me, my social experiences with it have been nothing but positive: I get to spend more time with my wife and people I've told have been sincere and interested. Other people have let me sleep in their bedrooms when hanging out with them. So far, the best response I've gotten came from a friend when I said that I was awake 21 hours of the day: "21 hours? Do you know how many video games I could play in that time?!" I was amused.


Still, though, maybe I'm lucky and just have some weird friends. Actually, I know I have some weird friends, but I don't think that their social acceptance of something like this is at all different from the general populace. Nevertheless, it seems to be a point of social anxiety amongst those that want to try polyphasic sleep.


The best way to deal with it, in my opinion, is just to be open and honest. I wouldn't have thought about this before, but it was suggested by Pavlina in his response to reader feedback on his experiment, and I assure you, it's the best approach. I usually open up by asking if there's a place I can nap for half an hour or so. If the host(ess) doesn't ask why, then I don't worry about it. If they do, I carefully explain what I'm doing and why. I've never had a negative response.

If you're into the clubbing scene, consider shifting your schedule in such a manner as to allow blocks of awake-time during prime clubbing time. Cornrow has suggested an 11, 3, 7 schedule. Not sure how successful the scheduling is - it's not really my style.


For those basics, things look hopeful. However, for those that like to party, I'm not real sure what to say. Alcohol could very easily throw one off the schedule, especially early on in the adaptation period or in significant doses. Because of alcohol's well-documented lessening of inhibitions, one under the influence might just consider not bothering to set the alarm and sleep anyway. Under larger doses, one might forget to set an alarm or turn it off completely. Not only that, but alcohol has been shown to inhibit REM sleep (source, in section "Alcohol's Effects on Sleep Physiology").

Cannabis has also been shown to inhibit REM and stage 4 NREM (source). I list cannabis because, despite its illegal nature nearly everywhere in the world, it is the third most popular recreational drug in the United States after alcohol and tobacco (source), and it is an extremely popular "social drug". Like it or not, it does play a part in many people's social lives, and so merits discussion.

Why is the REM/Stage 4 NREM inhibition a concern? Speculating here, if your polynap is inhibited by alcohol or cannabis, chances are good that it won't help any when you try to nap. It's quite possible that you'll oversleep if significantly intoxicated, too. But done in moderation spaced far from a nap? I can't say.*

* Just to be clear, I'm not advocating anyone use or abstain from using any drugs at all, legal or not. Be safe, do your homework, and then make your own decisions.


It's possible to have a social life. I still do. However, a polynapper may need to consider avoiding some popular recreational drugs, or reconsidering consumption patterns if wanting to easily adapt to the cycle.

-sean

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don has actually had some negative feedback. His Mom-in-law thinks he's completely insane and doesn't support the idea, at all. His wife seems to think it's just another of his hair-brained ideas that will fade out in a few weeks when he finds something else to distract himself.

He was actually being made fun of, in the not so positive and supportive way, by his M-I-L... It really disturbed me to have to hear it, too. He took the criticism in stride very well, though (I think).

--Ross

12/09/2005 03:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It amazes me that you are concerned with the inhibition of REM or Stage 4 NREM with drugs, and yet you see no problem with rupturing 'em to pieces with an alarm clock!

Your "polyphasic" regiment wil upregulate both stages, but it won't compensate a fraction for the destruction done with the alarm clock!

I would not worry about social issues a bit. If you find a healthier way, why worry about "uneducated opinions" around. But "healthier" is nowhere to be found in your reports ... :(

12/09/2005 04:18:00 AM  
Blogger Sean said...

Anonymous,

Thanks for the feedback this whole time... I'm assuming that the person writing the anonymous comments has been the same throughout (but I could be wrong).

I appreciate the concern and warnings. I really do. It's nice to know that others are reading and care. However, since I'm trying to support my speculations and investigations with research, could you please supply references for your information?

And, on a more personal note, could you please start signing your name to posts? I didn't want to force people to sign up for Blogger accounts to post, but I do like to know with whom I'm conversing.

Thanks,
-Sean

12/09/2005 05:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't drink or do drugs, so I'm not sure how they affect polynapping.

I've had great success polynapping in other places, though. Using someone's bed or couch is easy. I don't use blankets since my core temperature never drops, so I can even sleep on a made bed.

I also have Etymotic ER-4S headphones, a sleepmask, and my MP3 player with me wherever I go. The headphones have 21dB of isolation, so I can barely hear anything out there.

The MP3 player has an MP3 I made that goes like this :

0:00 - 0:10 - Eminem (used to set the wake up volume)
0:10 - 25:00 - Seagulls and Ocean noises
25:00 - 29:00 - Eminem
29:00 - 35:00 - Piercing beeping noises

I even have one of the presets in my car set to make my seat as flat as possible. I've probably taken 8 naps or so in my car, and they've all been quite effective.

The one failure I had was when I was at a hotel for a conference, and I decided that instead of booking a hotel room, I would sleep in the lobby. I was surprised that they stopped me, although it probably had a lot to do with my sleep mask and headphones looking unusual.

Keep up the great work, Sean... it's inspiring to read about someone else doing this, too! (Aren't those naps that feel like 4+ hours incredible??)

Cornrow

12/09/2005 05:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey sean, thanks for the pep cheers on my blog. It's encouraging to see someone doing quite well with it ;)

I did previously manage a good 10 days and felt great, without core sleep.
It's just a pity that family arrangements were more demanding than I expected.

As for the negative comments, take them with a grain of salt. Most of us have a pretty good idea of the risk we're taking, and so far it has been fine.

For the record, other active polyphasers I know of:
me: http://placebo.serv.co.za
http://journal.b44h.com/
http://www.polyphasicsleep.com

I chat to Joshua fairly regularly.

12/12/2005 04:11:00 AM  
Blogger Sean said...

Glad it helps, Placebo. I'm just trying to keep us all perked up and together. It's all about attitude... :)
-sean

12/12/2005 09:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home